Protect Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
The tragic events at the holiday chalet in Peebles, Scotland, where one person has lost their life with two others still in hospital suffering from suspected CO poisoning, highlights the need for not only home owners, but also holiday makers to protect themselves against Carbon Monoxide poisoning. People may well be more vulnerable in someone else’s property such as a holiday chalets, B&B or an Airbnb properties; there is currently no guarantee that the appliances and circumstances within that property take account of the danger of CO poisoning.
Whilst the Corfu case of 2006 where Bobby and Christi Shepherd died from CO poisoning should have had a significant effect upon the holiday industry in ensuring those responsible for the properties, be that booking agents or property owners, took active measures to protect you the paying public, little seems to have changed.
The Carbon Monoxide & Gas Safety Society claims that around 40 people die from CO poisoning every year in the UK, and GasSafe Register, the official gas registration body for the UK, advises: “When you go away you might be more vulnerable than in your own home. If you are staying in rented accommodation whether it’s a B&B, villa, chalet, hotel, caravan or boat you don’t always know how often the gas appliances have been safety checked or serviced.”
Whilst there is now an improved requirement for private rented property in the UK for CO protection, this does not extend beyond the UK; therefore the best advice we can give is to protect yourself. If you have a CO detector at home, pack it in your bag and take it on your holiday, place it close to the gas boiler, wood burner or other appliances liable to emit CO. It might not be as exciting as packing your factor-20 sun cream, but it might just save your life.
Holiday accommodation providers can use our bespoke Home Safety Assessment kit to evaluate the hazards within your properties and demonstrate you have taken all reasonable measures to ensure the safety of your guests.